YOUR HEALTH IN YOUR HANDS (CHRONIC DISEASE SELF MANAGEMENT)
Open to all those living in Hamilton with on-going health conditions such as diabetes, asthma, emphysema, movement disorders, heart disease, chronic pain, etc., as well as their caregivers. Modeled on Stanford University's Chronic Disease Self Management program.
North Hamilton Community Health Centre (438 Hughson St. North)
Groups meet weekly for 6 weeks (one 2.5 hour session per week)Call now to sign up for the next available workshop.
Click here to see Recent Flyer
Goals of Program:
- To improve healthful behaviours (exercise, symptom management, coping, communication with health providers).
- To improve health status (self reported health, fatigue, disability, social activities, distress).
- To decrease days in hospital.
- To train future peer leaders.
Description of Program (activities, participants, etc.):
- The program introduces concepts of self-management and allows for practice of it over a 6 week period within a small group setting.
- Emphasized are problem solving skills, exercise, action planning, symptom/mood management, interaction with health professionals, and the making of informed health choices.
- The Chronic Disease Self Management Group also trains future lay leaders to facilitate the program. Research has shown that lay leaders are more successful than professionals at delivering the program.
For more information, please contact: 905-523-6611