DIABETES PHYSICAL ACTIVITY TAKE OUT PROGRAM
Open to people living in Hamilton with diabetes or those who are at increased risk of development of Diabetes.
NHCHC Rehabilitation gym (438 Hughson St. North - 2nd Floor)
Includes both individual and group excercise programs
Following an initial assessment, one is able to attend the gym any time. Please call for an initial appointment.
Goals of Program:
An educational and activity program that is designed to encourage people living with diabetes to increase their daily physical activity. This leads to improvements in health by decreasing weight and waist circumference, and increasing the uptake of glucose in the muscles, among other health outcomes. Clients who join this group are offered a variety of low-impact activities in a group or individual setting, to help them achieve their personal fitness goals.
- To increase access to physical activity to those who may have previously had barriers (visual impairment, disability).
- To provide supervision of goal setting and appropriate activities, resulting in increased participant self-confidence in performing activities.
- Regular, moderate physical activity helps to lower blood glucose levels, promote weight loss, reduce stress and enhance fitness.
Description of Program (activities, participants, etc.):
The program provides:
- An Initial fitness assessment
- Individual exercise program
- At home exercise program option
- Group Exercise opportunities:
- Aqua Fitness
- Sit Fit
- Tai Chi
For more information, please contact:Aleks: 905-523-6611 ext. 3049